Bengaluru FC Star Lyngdoh Slammed the Late Winner to Keep Pune Alive in ISL 2016

Eugeneson Lyngdoh goes against the run of play to score a late winner against Mumbai City FC to give FC Pune City a 1-0 final score line to keep their semifinal hopes alive in the Indian Super League football on Thursday.

There were two players who were spearheading their respective teams for the first time this season, one who is well known Sunil Chhetri and the other Eugeneson Lyngdoh after turning out for Bengaluru FC in AFC Cup final, struck the match-winner in the 89th minute at the Mumbai Football Arena after two half’s of exciting play making skills showed mostly by both teams which were stonewalled by the defensive line of the other team.

Mumbai City FC goalkeeper Albino Gomes came out of his line to collect a Narayan Das cross from the left but he fumbled and the ball fell on Lyngdoh who had all the time in the world to thump the goal in for the visitors.

Despite today’s loss, Mumbai are still at the second spot in the league table with 15 points from 10 matches while Pune are at fourth spot with 12 points from 9 matches.

Mumbai were the stronger team off the blocks as they tried to feed their strikers with long balls but the visitors were never left lacking in their defense and averted any danger.

There were a couple of things which worked against the home side, firstly when their main forward Leo Costa had a niggling groin injury which made him limp of the field and Thiago Cunha was brought on. The change almost paid dividends with Cunha setting up Sehnaj Singh off an Edel Bete fumble but the youngster put his shot over the bar.

Cunha continued the good work with a dangerous cross but Matias Defederico failed to reach it. Minutes later, Cunha again headed it to Forlan but Bete was on hand to collect the ball. Mumbai continued piling on the pressure as Defederico took a crack on goal but Bete again pulled out an excellent diving save to keep it 0-0.

The game slowed down as Sunil Chhetri, who is also playing for the first time for Mumbai this season after going Bengaluru FC duty, and Diego Forlan indulged in some sublime one-touch football but a goal still eluded them as both teams headed into the tunnel at half-time goalless.

The second half began with Pune replacing Dramane Traore with Eugeneson Lyngdoh. Mumbai continued dominating the game with Chhetri, Khonjee and Defederico all trying their luck. But they either shot wide or were simply blocked off by the resilient Pune defence.

Mumbai once again went on the attack as Forlan found Krisztian Vadocs on the far post but the Hungarian was unable to rattle the crossbar. It just did not seem like Mumbai’s night when Forlan’s free-kick was pushed onto the crossbar by Bete.

At the end of the match Bete came up with a save off his own at the other end as he put out a leg to thwart Forlan’s attempt on the goal. The game was heading towards a draw when Lyngdoh struck.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *